FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is at this site?
Complete Chinese Union Version (Old Pronunciation) of Bible (GB encoding) presented as
2. Why are some links "not available"? Searching and the translator is only working offline at the present time.
3. Where is this software (and updates) available online? On-line at: http://www.aizhu.com (this site) (with Spanish, continual updating...) http://www.wordproject.org (early version, with Portugese) http://dbs.org (pinyin only). Subscribe to receive news of updates at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AiZhu/
4. Is the bible available in Pinyin in hardcopy or for offline usage? The most recent version online here and available on CD-ROM. Another bible society has published a printed pinyin Bible
5. What is the difference between Pinyin that appears with selection PY and IT? In IT files, I have made my best guess at the pronounciation of each word. In the PY files, I have listed all the possible pronounciations. For example, sometimes a word has different pronunciations in different parts of China, or when used in different contexts. In the PY files, I list all these pronounciations, while in the IT files I will only list the one most likely for this context.
6. What are the numbers after the Pinyin? These represent the tone: 1 is the first tone (flat), 2 is the second tone (rising), 3 is the third tone (falling then rising), 4 is the fourth tone (falling) and 5 is no tone (pronounced short) Tones are specified by numbers as this is the way they are input into the computer to search the files.
8. I am unable to view Chinese Characters, What should I do? You have not installed Chinese language support on your computer. You need to either go to Microsoft homepage and download the Mainland Chinese fonts or install MVIEW (installation file in the tools directory of the CD. See homepage for further information. Note that MVIEW is shareware, so if you decide to keep using it, then you should register).
9. I see Chinese characters but they don't make sense. What's wrong? You most likely have support for Taiwanese version of Chinese characters and not the Mainland Chinese version. You need to either go to Microsoft homepage and download the fonts or install MVIEW to get Chinese language support. In the second case, make sure the setting is on GB (China) and not on BIG-6 (Taiwan)
10. Why can't I search the Bible? This feature is, unfortunately, only currently available after you have copied the software from a CD, then this flash animation walks you through the process, step-by-step. (It is not available on the website, as I do not have time to rewrite the ANSI-C code to run on a server. ). If you have the CD, for information on how to search, follow links on homepage.
11. Who do I contact for more information? firstname.lastname@example.org